Since Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, people around the world have found myriad ways to show their support for the besieged European nation. The French are no exception. The day after Putin’s first attack, the Eiffel tower was illuminated in the colors of the Ukrainian flag. A week later, Notre Dame Cathedral’s bourdon Emmanuel, a massive tenor bell weighing 1100 lbs, rang out in a call for peace. The concerts, fundraisers, and special events in support of Ukraine are too numerous to list as France prepares to accept 100,000 Ukrainian refugees—the same number proposed by the United States. As of March 10, close to 20,000 French citizens had volunteered to welcome fleeing evacuees into their homes.
Artists of all stripes have mobilized to #StandWithUkraine—online, in galleries, concert halls, and on the streets—some with lightning fast speed. On March 14, the French street artist JR and his crew were in the streets of Lviv to unfurl a massive poster of 5-year old Valeriia who fled to Poland with her family.
Throughout France, examples of murals, graffiti, stencils, and frescos that decry the bloody conflict abound. Below you’ll find a small sampling. I’ve listed each artist’s name/tag, followed by the piece’s title and the city in France where the work can be found. Most of these images link to an Instagram page or website that features other works by the same artist.
Some believe that art has the power to change the world. I’m not sure to what extent this statement is true but there’s no doubt in my mind that art makes the world’s most horrible circumstances easier to bear, even for those going through hell. Let me know what you think in the comments.
- Ouest France, Ukraine. Comment la France s’organise pour accueillir « plusieurs dizaines de milliers » de réfugiés
- SortiraParis, QUAND LE STREET ART SOUTIENT L’UKRAINE À PARIS
- Paris Secret, Street art : « Les Marches de la Paix », un live painting pour soutenir l’Ukraine à Paris
- Le HuffPost, Pour l’Ukraine, le monde du street art s’est mobilisé en dessin
- Reuters, Art in support of Ukraine
- actuLyon, PHOTO. Guerre en Ukraine : un artiste signe une œuvre émouvante rue de la République à Lyon
- USA Today, Artistic unity for Ukraine: Murals around the world show support amid Russian invasion
- SuperPosition-Lyon, Le street-art en faveur du peuple Ukrainien
- Street Art Utopia, The troll – Street art in Lyon by Big Ben on Putins War in Ukraine
- Street Art Utopia, 5 pics: Street Artist Seth on Putins War on Ukraine (in Paris)
- Street Art Utopia, Sadness in Ukraine – By Gregos in Paris, France
- Strom500, Artist / Illustrator / Muralist based in Strasbourg
- EmyArt, Homepage
- Bebarbarie, Homepage